Gone are the days of limp lettuce leaves and opaque chicken slices wedged between two stale pieces of bread. Making a satisfying chicken sandwich starts with quality ingredients; creamy mayo, crisp lettuce, fresh celery, fragrant dill, perfectly seasoned chicken and, of course, thick slices of sourdough bread. So if you’re looking for the best chicken sandwich filling, this is it!
How to cook chicken breast for sandwich meat?
The best way to cook chicken breast for sandwich meat is to boil it in hot water for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting it into small or large chunks, depending on your preferred texture.
If you’re running short on time, a roast chicken from the supermarket will work well too. Plus, the stuffing adds a fantastic festive twist to this classic chicken sando recipe.
How to make the perfect chicken sandwich?
If you're looking for the perfect chicken sandwich, think creamy, crunchy, salty and sweet. Cold chicken breast, the preferred meat for a sandwich, is usually on the dry side and loves creaminess from mayonnaise or sour cream (personally, I like a little of both). Lettuce and celery add a beautiful contrasting texture, while delicate herbs like dill, tarragon or basil elevate every mouthful. And lastly, the secret to the perfect sandwich, regardless of the ingredients, is seasoning - don't forget the salt and pepper!
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 1 cup cos or ice berg lettuce shredded
- 1/2 bunch dill finely chopped
- salt, pepper, squeze lemon or lime juice
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- Place chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, lettuce and dill into a large bowl and mix until combined. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice before giving it a final mix.
- Place two slices of bread on a cutting board, generously top with the chicken mixture and layer with another slice of bread.
- Cut in half and enjoy!